Three years ago, traveling for work was really a foreign process. I dreaded the packing process, and getting everything I thought I needed into a carry on. I always knew I would forget something, and have to pay some crazy amount of money in the airport for a phone charger or earbuds. FOURTY dollars for a charging cable in the airport – highway robbery, but you can’t travel without one!
Now, travel feels seamless. I can pack a carry on for 3-5 days in 10 minutes, and my backpack is loaded with necessities to fly five hours across country. In fact, I leave my backpack necessities packed so that I never forget them! For this post, I thought I’d share exactly what I take in my backpack.
The backpack thing may be a good place to start. I still carry my college backpack with me on my work trips. When I first started traveling, I carried a giant Marc Jacobs tote. I wanted to be fashionable, and it made me feel like a bas-a**-boss-mama. But, I could never find what I needed, and quickly into the trip it became highly disorganized. I made the transition to a backpack maybe 6 months into traveling, and I’ve never gone back.
Here’s what I keep in my backpack (laptop and laptop changer aside):
- Travel size lotion – EOS or Nivea – And be careful when you open in flight, they can definitely quirt at you due to the pressure change!
- Facial Mist – My favorite is L’Occitane. The Atlanta airport has an L’Occitane store where I will restock during my travels!
- Chapstick, EOS ball, but really just your favorite lip moisturizer
- Headphones (and that connector thing so you can plug into the TVs if you have an iPhone 7 or higher)
- Changer (USB cable and wall plug)/ Mophie charger (just in case you can’t charge in flight)
- Eye Mask – I have a plain black one my mom got from a flight to Saudi Arabia once (kind of like this), but if you want to get people talking you’re going to need THIS or THIS. I always intend to catch up on lost sleep due to my crazy toddlers on my flights so I have zero shame, and fully own an eye mask!
- Earplugs – If you can, find a pair like these that have their own container! It will help you keep from loosing them!
- Neck pillow
- Water bottle or two (hydration is key!)
- Healthy snacks (I keep these in a gallon plastic baggie, and include almonds, apples, ThinkThin and/or RX bars, and Jiff-to-Go)
Other than the water bottle and my snacks, I keep all the items in a flexible cosmetic case so that I can tuck it easily into my backpack. I like to use a case that has compartments on the side to keep everything organized. TUMI is always a good choice for travel, and I love this case. For me staying hydrated and keeping your skin hydrated is so important with travel. The air is so dry, and I immediately want to get off the plane and lather my body, lips, and face in Vaseline if I don’t keeps items 1-3 easily accessible!
These things help keep me comfortable during my 5 hour flight to Los Angeles and back home to Atlanta. Depending on the time of my flight, I have used the time to catch up on work, watch a movie or show, and definitely sleep! Since I mentioned shows, some of my favorites offered for free on Delta have definitely been Big Little Lies and The Sinner. So, so, so good!
Any recommendations for what I should watch on my next flight?